Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 20:33 — 20.7MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | RSS
In Episode 72 of The Architecture Happy Hour Podcast, Laura and Holly share their tips on how to update your kitchen to a more contemporary style. Learn how to break down a kitchen renovation into parts to make the selections and decisions easier.
See show notes and photos at www.hpdarch.com/ahh72.
In this Episode
7 Ways to Update Your Kitchen from Traditional to Contemporary
- Open up the Living Room to the Kitchen
- New cabinets – to go or not to go with the grain?
- Change the Kitchen back splash and counter top
- Take advantage of new technology by upgrading your appliances
- Select new plumbing fixtures
- Change flooring to match in all adjacent rooms
- Update your light fixtures
Notable and Shareable Take Aways
- Contemporary design comes in different levels – look for examples of warm or soft contemporary, or transitional style to avoid extreme, stark contemporary interiors.
- Consult with a structural engineer if you plan to remove walls to go “open concept” with your floor plan.
- Vertical or horizontal wood grain on cabinet doors makes beautiful and interesting textures.
- Express your personality in a unique counter top or back splash.
- Always verify the dimensions of the space available for appliances.
Resources and Links
This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase, it does not increase the cost to you, but we may receive a small commission in return.
Mosaic tile options for a new back splash
Options for refrigerators under 67″ tall (necessary if you have older, lower cabinets – check height)
Contemporary stainless steel farmhouse sinks
Wood-look vinyl plank flooring
Are you interested in sponsoring The Architecture Happy Hour podcast? We want to connect with companies that are a good match with the interests of our listeners. Please contact us here to receive a media kit and learn more about sponsorship opportunities.