In Episode 72 of The Architecture Happy Hour Podcast, Laura and Holly share their tips on how to update your kitchen to a more contemporary style. Learn how to break down a kitchen renovation into parts to make the selections and decisions easier.
In this Episode
7 Ways to Update Your Kitchen from Traditional to Contemporary
- Open up the Living Room to the Kitchen
- New cabinets – to go or not to go with the grain?
- Change the Kitchen back splash and counter top
- Take advantage of new technology by upgrading your appliances
- Select new plumbing fixtures
- Change flooring to match in all adjacent rooms
- Update your light fixtures
Notable and Shareable Take Aways
- Contemporary design comes in different levels – look for examples of warm or soft contemporary, or transitional style to avoid extreme, stark contemporary interiors.
- Consult with a structural engineer if you plan to remove walls to go “open concept” with your floor plan.
- Vertical or horizontal wood grain on cabinet doors makes beautiful and interesting textures.
- Express your personality in a unique counter top or back splash.
- Always verify the dimensions of the space available for appliances.
Resources and Links
This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase, it does not increase the cost to you, but we may receive a small commission in return.
Options for refrigerators under 67″ tall (necessary if you have older, lower cabinets – check height)
About Your Hosts
hpd architecture + interiors principals Laura Davis and Holly Hall are both registered architects and interior designers in Dallas, Texas specializing in residential design. Laura and Holly co-host the popular podcast, The Architecture Happy Hour, where they share their thoughts and tips on architecture and interior design, from helping owners select the right architect to never being too late to begin a career in architecture.
Each month, Laura and Holly organize the successful, monthly, networking happy hour also called The Architecture Happy Hour. A social networking community in the Dallas, Texas area, the events are hosted by a different business each month. The group is for professionals in architecture, interior design, real estate, and construction and is focused on creating relationships and offering business referrals to people they know and trust.
Connect with Us
The Architecture Happy Hour
hpd architecture + interiors
Are you interested in sponsoring The Architecture Happy Hour podcast? We want to connect with companies that are a good match with the interests of our listeners. Please call 214.751.2304 or contact us here to receive a media kit and learn more about sponsorship opportunities.