This episode turns our preconceived notion about trends in millennial home decor on its head. In an interview with our PR specialist/antique collector, we are delightfully surprised to learn about the unexpected buying trends of this younger consumer. We also discuss an emerging trend of South African home design.
See Show Notes at www.hpdarch.com/ahh73. By the way, Holly, my co-host, was unavailable for this recording. She will be back on a future episode. 🙂
In this Episode
- Antique trends mimic what we see in the design industry.
- A surprising growing number of Millennials are attending and buying at antique shows.
- A taste of nostalgia is driving younger buyers to connect with their memories of growing up.
- Millennials are looking for simple, practical pieces that will endure.
- Pieces must be useful in everyday living, such as toy boxes or decorative storage.
- Buyers at the antique show are not looking for DIY pieces. They must be portable and ready to use.
- Hot design trends include:
- Architectural pieces for big impact on the wall
- Quilts are popular as large, colorful wall hangings
- Large signs with character (think restaurants, gas stations, rail yards)
- The Tuscany look is still popular, even with trends towards minimalism
- Buyers want a unique specimen antique piece to display against a clean, uncluttered space backdrop
- South African trend represents a clean wall, less ornamentation, with colorful accessories
Notable and Shareable Take Aways
- The hunt and discovery of a special, antique piece of furniture is as much a part of the story as the piece itself
- The years of wear on a farmhouse table give it character and invite the new owner to be part of its legacy
- In a culture of quick media, digital interactions, and disposable furniture, antiques fill a void for younger buyers who want a connection with something that lasts
- The emerging home design trend of South African design combines the restraint of minimalism and the personality of natural materials and color
Resources and Links
- Roundtop, Texas Antiques Fall Show October 1-6, 2018
- Southwestern Elegance, Ingram, Texas
- For more about the Roundtop Antique Show trends, visit this blog post on hpdarch.com.
- Check out this article showing an example of South African architecture and interior design. Gorgeous!
Are you interested in sponsoring The Architecture Happy Hour podcast? We want to connect with companies that are a good match with the interests of our listeners. Please call 214.751.2304 or contact us here to receive a media kit and learn more about sponsorship opportunities.