Looking for the perfect gift for a kid who is creative, shows a curiosity for buildings, and always wants to know how things go together? Dallas Architects Laura Davis and Holly Hall share great ideas for the best gifts for future architects.
See show notes at www.hpdarch.com/ahh79.
Visit our blog for the 2018 Architectural Gift Guide for All Ages.
In this episode
In Episode 79 of The Architecture Happy Hour Podcast, Laura and Holly are inspired by a video featuring Elton John showing that gifts received as children can often influence who we become as adults. They reminisce about toys from their childhood, and offer ideas for picking that perfect gift for the design and architecture enthusiast in your life, both young and young-at-heart.
Here’s the video:
Notable and Shareable Takeaways
- New technology and innovation are memorable and make an impression.
- Give gifts that will help the recipient grow into who they are meant to be.
- If a toy feeds a passion, it will be loved for a very long time.
This post contains affiliate links to products we love. If you choose to make a purchase, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Picking the Perfect Gift
Dive deep into a current interest
- NASCAR collection, race track model building and stop motion video app
Exploring buildings and home design
- Barbie Dream House
- Lincoln Logs
- Tinker Toys
- Kenner Toys Girder and Panel set (Can’t you just picture a little Holly playing with this set?!)
Making, Designing, and Creating
- Art supplies, colored pencils, paints
- Art kits
- Jewelry making and beading
- Sewing, quilting
- Leather, Weaving looms
- Costume making
- Macramé, knitting, crochet
- Paint by Numbers kits
- Stationery, stickers (Mrs. Grossman’s were Laura’s favorite!), rubber stamps (she also loved Inkadinkado), and paper crafts
- Choose Your Own Adventure Books
How do things go together?
Show kids new ideas and new ways of doing things
- All About book series (Read about the Bathysphere and William Beebe here)
- Who Was book series (Laura’s son likes these)
- This Old House and Hometime (premiered on public television in 1986 with Dean Johnson and JoAnne Liebeler)
- Tangent stories about black and white vs. color TVs
about your hosts
hpd architecture + interiors principals Laura Davis and Holly Hall are both registered architects and interior designers in Dallas, Texas specializing in residential design. Laura and Holly co-host the popular podcast, The Architecture Happy Hour, where they share their thoughts and tips on architecture and interior design, from helping owners select the right architect to never being too late to begin a career in architecture.
Each month, Laura and Holly organize the successful, monthly, networking happy hour also called The Architecture Happy Hour. A social networking community in the Dallas, Texas area, the events are hosted by a different business each month. The group is for professionals in architecture, interior design, real estate, and construction and is focused on creating relationships and offering business referrals to people they know and trust.
connect with us
The Architecture Happy Hour
hpd architecture + interiors
Are you interested in sponsoring The Architecture Happy Hour podcast? We want to connect with companies that are a good match with the interests of our listeners. Please call 214.751.2304 or contact us here to receive a media kit and learn more about sponsorship opportunities.