Looking for the perfect gift for a kid who is creative, shows a curiosity for buildings, and always wants to know how things go together? Dallas Architects Laura Davis and Holly Hall share great ideas for the best gifts for future architects.
Visit our blog for the Architectural Gift Guide for All Ages.
In this episode
In Episode 79 of The Architecture Happy Hour Podcast, Laura and Holly are inspired by a video featuring Elton John showing that gifts received as children can often influence who we become as adults. They reminisce about toys from their childhood, and offer ideas for picking that perfect gift for the design and architecture enthusiast in your life, both young and young-at-heart.
Here’s the video:
Notable and Shareable Takeaways
- New technology and innovation are memorable and make an impression.
- Give gifts that will help the recipient grow into who they are meant to be.
- If a toy feeds a passion, it will be loved for a very long time.
This post contains affiliate links to products we love. If you choose to make a purchase, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Picking the Perfect Gift
Dive deep into a current interest
- NASCAR collection, race track model building and stop motion video app
Exploring buildings and home design
Making, Designing, and Creating
- Art supplies, colored pencils, paints
- Art kits
- Jewelry making and beading
- Sewing, quilting
- Leather, Weaving looms
- Costume making
- Macramé, knitting, crochet
- Paint by Numbers kits
- Stationery, stickers (Mrs. Grossman’s were Laura’s favorite!), rubber stamps (she also loved Inkadinkado), and paper crafts
- Choose Your Own Adventure Books
How do things go together?
Show kids new ideas and new ways of doing things
- All About book series (Read about the Bathysphere and William Beebe here)
- Who Was book series (Laura’s son likes these)
- This Old House and Hometime (premiered on public television in 1986 with Dean Johnson and JoAnne Liebeler)
- Tangent stories about black and white vs. color TVs