Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 23:15 — 33.5MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | RSS
What to Think About Before You Design Your Own Home
You’re thinking of starting a new home design project, but you’re not quite sure where to start. Are you wondering, “How long does it take to build a house?” or curious about “How much does it cost to build a house?”? In Episode 89 of The Architecture Happy Hour podcast, co-hosts and residential architects, Laura Davis and Holly Hall roll out the first episode in their new Home Design Series, talking about the 7 Essentials for Starting Your Home Renovation or New Home Design Project. Join Laura and Holly as they talk about the 7 things you absolutely need and the questions you need to ask when you’re starting a new home design project.
In this Episode:
The 7 Essentials for Starting Your Home Renovation or New Home Design Project
WHAT would be included in your ideal home?
- What’s on your wish list?
- What will your dream home look like?
- What types of rooms do you need?
- What kind of home style you prefer? Traditional, modern, farmhouse?
WHERE is the location for your ideal home?
- Where are you wanting to do this renovation?
- What do you need to know about local zoning regulations?
- Does your home owner’s association have restrictions or design guidelines?
WHEN is the best time to remodel your house?
- How long does it take to build a house?
- What is a typical design and construction timeline?
- Do you have life or family events we need to work around?
WHY do you want to do this home design project?
- What is the goal of the project?
- How can your home support your lifestyle?
- Is this a short term investment or your forever home?
WHO will be living in the home?
- Who is involved in building a house?
- Who will live in the house?
- Will you be doing much entertaining?
- Do you have kids or grandkids that need a playroom or space to run around?
- Do any of the residents have mobility issues; do you need to plan for aging-in-place?
- Who are the decision makers?
HOW will your dream home become a reality?
- How will this project be managed?
- How much does it cost to build a house?
- Do you have a home building budget?
- How do I know if I’m going to overbuild for my neighborhood?
TEAM members to make the project a success?
- Do I have a good realtor to advise me on home values and neighborhoods?
- Should I be my own general contractor?
- Do I need an architect or an interior designer to create floor plans?
- What other consultants will I need for my home build project?
Download the Checklist Here!
Have questions you’d like us to answer? Contact us here!
Stay tuned for the next podcasts in the series and in the meantime, you might want to look at these related posts:
building a new home
10 questions to ask before designing your new home