You’re thinking of starting a new home design project, but you’re not quite sure where to start. Are you wondering, “How long does it take to build a house?” or curious about “How much does it cost to build a house?”? In Episode 89 of The Architecture Happy Hour podcast, co-hosts and residential architects, Laura Davis and Holly Hall roll out the first episode in their new Home Design Series, talking about the 7 Essentials for Starting Your Home Renovation or New Home Design Project. Join Laura and Holly as they talk about the 7 things you absolutely need and the questions you need to ask when you’re starting a new home design project.
In this Episode:
The 7 Essentials for Starting Your Home Renovation or New Home Design Project
- What’s on your wish list?
- What will your dream home look like?
- Have you decided on which home style you prefer?
- Where are you wanting to do this renovation?
- What do you need to know about local zoning regulations?
- Does your home owner’s association have restrictions or design guidelines?
- How long does it take to build a house?
- What is a typical design and construction timeline?
- Do you have life or family events we need to work around?
- Why do you want to do this home design project?
- What is the goal of the project?
- Is this a short term investment or your forever home?
- Who is involved in building a house?
- Who will live in the house?
- Who are the decision makers?
- How will this project be managed?
- How much does it cost to build a house?
- How do I know if I’m going to overbuild for my neighborhood?
- Should I be my own general contractor?
- Do I need an architect or an interior designer?
- What other consultants will I need for my home design project?